Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Thank you.....

We, as a family just wanted to say how touched we were that so many of you came to John's Memorial Service, wrote notes of encouragement ( we will treasure them ) and for those who had the time, waited in line to express your love for us. We felt your love and we know that while the days ahead will be tough, we are surrounded by you, our friends and family who will be there to remind us of God's Sovereign and loving hand in our lives. We trusted him through the journey of ALS, now we must trust Him anew in this journey called grieving. What's been most startling to us is the quiet of no machines running, no "non stop survival" mode of the last 2 months, and no Powerchair sitting by the door. Its deafening in its silence. Yesterday the ALS association came by and picked up the Hoyer Lift and his Powerchair. The Hoyer Lift was a lifesaver for us when we could no longer transport him from his bed to his chair. His powerchair was like another member of the family. Now they are gone as well and our bedroom feels empty, as does our home without John.

The kids are missing the constant conversations they could have with him at any given moment. They loved coming home and popping into our bedroom to talk about their day and to hear their Dad's thoughts on whatever was going on in their lives.
I know that God will bring other men into their lives to help listen and come along side each of them but my greatest hope is found in the following verse.
Psalm 68:5 says God is " Father of the fatherless and protector of widows".

Even in the silence, we are not alone. Psalm 62:5

On God alone, O my soul, wait in silence. For my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.

We shall not be shaken but will grow in our love for the Savior as we lean on Him even more in the coming days.

Lastly, we cannot thank each of you enough for your constant and unwavering support to our family for the last 18 months. You did not watch from the sidelines but you choose to walk through it with us and came along side us and have been there for us, practically, financially and emotionally. We are eternally grateful for each of you, family and friend who have share this hard road with us.

Love,
Kathy, Gabriel, Joseph and Amanda

--Update, From Gabriel
I would like to add my own 2 cents in that seeing you (the Church) and others serve us has helped me grown in my own love and desire to serve in the Church. It is said that actions speak louder than words, that is so true. While I know there were many of you that were not able to actually come over and help clean or bring a meal, or contribute to use ... the fact that you would pray for us is blessing enough. My soul can most definitely say that "it is well with my soul"! Our house has been surrounded by grace and it is only by your love and support that we have been able to walk through this dark road.

Thank you!

P.S. While standing in line, some of you all said that you were also interested in history. If you were on of those people, please message me.

6 comments:

  1. We love you guys!

    May you continue to sense the Lord's nearness.

    Marshall and Tammy Stoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, Gabe, Joe and Amanda,

    Please know that we love you all very much, and that we are always here for you guys.

    With love and blessings,

    The Riordans

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dear Friend, You and John have been a living example of how God meant us to walk through the final trial of passing into eternity. Your trust and reliance on God in this season has inspired all of us. When it comes our time to face this season ourselves, I believe you will hear many say, " I want to be like John and Kathy." As your friend, you must know...I am so proud of you! I love you, Vikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I stayed home w/my little ones but Jeff came to the memorial service and was so touched and blessed...John was so dear and so kind and I can just see him smiling and encouraging others in his trial...He was the type of person who would make you feel better about the fact that Jesus is our rock and heaven is more real and beautiful than anything here on earth. I am so sorry for the loss you are experiencing...I'm grateful that the Lord is carrying you and ministering to you in a very real way.."He is close to the brokenhearted..He binds up their wounds.." may He continually do that for you Kathy...I have so much respect for you...love, Irene Herbert

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think among my favorite memories of Johnny was when he played guitar and the two of you sang Happy Birthday to the tune of La Bamba at care group one night! I will always remember that one, along with the amazing songs you guys performed with Steve and Vicki at Brian's surprise 40th. Very sweet memories. Oh, and he and I going wall to wall at the house he painted in Potomac. That was one heckova job...he will be missed, but I am so glad to be in my autumnal years. Soon and very soon, I will get to hear him jammin' on the golden streets. He and Amy must've been needed for something really special up there. Can't wait.
    ~jo speelman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, just wanted you to know your being prayed for. 8-)
    Hope to stop by Wed. to get the bowl and orange carrot dish.
    Maybe it should be refilled! Amanda,It was good to work with you Sat.! Gabe, Thanks for being a champion on Sundays.
    Holly Hoffman

    ReplyDelete